Only Sixty Percent...

I have arrived safely in Guatemala and have survived two days of working in the hospital! So far the experience has been wonderful, but there are a few things that I had to get adjusted to. When I arrived, I was told that it is currently winter in Guatemala. I had to ask again to make sure that I understood because it is at least 85 degrees everyday and very humid! However, this does mean that the sun rises at 5:30 and sets at 6:30, so I have had to adjust my sleep hours.
The hospital in which I will be volunteering for the next two months is located in Cubulco, Guatemala. The hospital is not large, but employs six doctors who take various shifts. Thankfully, there is one doctor and one nurse who speak English!
On Thursday, Julio, the hospital director, picked me up and drove me to the hospital. He does not speak any English, so it made for an interesting car ride! During our conversation, he told me that my Spanish level is at 60%, which I figured was good enough for the time being. However, I soon realized after a few hours in the hospital that I do feel a little useless as it is difficult communicating only sixty percent of the time! I find myself saying "No entiendo" (I don't understand) a little more often than I would like...
I have learned a lot already from the doctors and nurses in the hospital, and it breaks my heart to see so many cases that are easily preventable with proper education and hygiene. I am already so thankful for the wonderful people I have met down here, and I am excited to spend a whole summer learning from them! Please pray that my Spanish will continue to improve little by little very quickly and that the hospital staff and I will be effective in ministering for the needs (both physical and spiritual) of all  who come to the clinic.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not a Mission Trip

The Countdown Begins!

Sutures, Soccer, and Ice Cream